When it comes to bollards, it is easy to become overwhelmed at the options. As well as all the different types of security bollards available, there is also a vast array of sizes, colours, shapes and finishes to choose from. In this handy guide, our experts share some quick advice on how to find the best bollard for you.
What do you need your security bollard for?
The first and most important thing to consider when buying bollards, is why you need them in the first place. Common uses for bollards include:
- To protect buildings, properties and vehicles
- To secure private land
- To create pedestrian-only zones (traffic segregation)
- To provide traffic calming measures to improve driver and pedestrian safety
- To prevent vehicle theft from residential, industrial and public areas
- To stop people stealing parking spaces
At Macs, this is the first thing we’ll discuss with you.
What features do your security bollards need?
Once we have identified why you need security bollards, we’ll address whether your bollards need any specific features.
For example, you might need a bollard to protect a pedestrian-only zone, but still need vehicle access to that area. Either for deliveries or in emergencies. Here, a retractable telescopic security bollard could be the ideal solution. Telescopic bollards lock into position when needed but slide into the ground when not in use. This allows vehicles to pass over when required.
Alternatively, when looking at bollards, you might need Hostile Vehicle Mitigation (HVM) bollards. Crash-tested against a range of criteria, these robust bollards are commonly used to protect high profile sites and secure locations. Our PAS 68 and IWA-14 HMV bollards are tested to withstand the force of 7.5-tonne impact.
Flashing lights and audible sounders in the bollard head are also excellent options when you need additional visibility and safety.
What material should your security bollard use?
As mentioned, bollards come in a huge array of materials. Some of the most popular options include:
- Steel. A durable and strong security bollard, steel is impervious to corrosion and abrasions. Stainless steel bollards are also robust while being resistant to staining
- Aluminium. Aluminium bollards are highly durable and resistant to corrosion
- Wooden bollards. Hardwood timber bollards are strong, stable and resistant to decay
- Concrete and stone. Concrete and stone bollards are incredibly durable and resistant to corrosion. They can also be very aesthetically pleasing
- Plastic and plastic materials (e.g. Polyurethane). Plastic bollards are durable and resistant to environmental elements (e.g. saltwater) and chemicals. Polyurethane bollards are also a great option for anyone who wants a bespoke bollard as the material can be moulded into complex shapes
- Cast Iron. Cast iron is an exceptionally robust, long-lasting and wear-resistant material.
How eco-friendly should your bollards be?
As with any business purchase, sustainability is likely to be a key consideration. The good news is that it is possible to buy eco-friendly bollards. For example, stainless steel bollards are recyclable, and many plastic bollards are made from recycled material.
Where will your bollards be used?
Over time, the environment a bollard is used in can start to have an impact on its functionality and look. For example, coastal areas with high salinity can result in the corrosion of machinery and infrastructure. As such, when installing new bollards, it’s vital to talk to an expert to ensure that the products you choose are made from a material suitable to the environment you want to protect. For instance, many plastic bollards are non-porous and ideal for use in wet/damp conditions.
What do you want your security bollards to look like?
Bollards are often criticised for being ugly. But this doesn’t have to be the case! Bollards come in a broad range of styles, materials, finishes and colours. So, you can meet your traffic challenges without diminishing the look and feel of the spaces you want to protect.
Indeed, there is a vast range of options available when it comes to bollards. Many of which look aesthetically great. At Macs, we help meet your urban-planning objectives and ensure the delivery of bollards that create safe streets and spaces that are a pleasure to be in.
Have you considered bollard maintenance?
Choosing the right security bollard is only half the battle. The correct bollard maintenance is also essential to ensure it keeps working the way you want it to.
Fitting your security bollards
Security bollards are suitable for most ground types, but you do need the right tools and expertise to install them correctly. As such, we would strongly recommend that you make sure your security bollards are fitted by a professional.
Why choose Macs security bollards?
Designed with your satisfaction in mind, our team of experienced advisers and fully qualified engineers deliver outstanding levels of customer service and technical excellence. With a wealth of bollard experience, we don’t believe ‘one-size-fits-all’ when it comes to protecting the places and people important to you.
Your security needs are unique, which is why we work with multiple manufacturers to help design and provide the perfect bollards to your security problems.
For a free quote, or to ask us a question about our security bollards, call our service team on 0161 320 6462 or email us by completing our contact form.